Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Surprise: Bush Misleads Again

I just saw a clip of President Bush on MSNBC. At recent rallies, the President has taken to "quoting" his opponent, John F. Kerry:
Senator Kerry was recently asked how September the 11th had changed him. And he replied this: "It did not change me much at all." End quote.
The President is quoting the NY Times Magazine cover story by Matt Bai two weeks ago -- and he cherry-picks a line to make Kerry look bad:
"It accelerated -- " He paused. "I mean, it didn't change me much at all. It just sort of accelerated, confirmed in me, the urgency of doing the things I thought we needed to be doing. I mean, to me, it wasn't as transformational as it was a kind of anger, a frustration and an urgency that we weren't doing the kinds of things necessary to prevent it and to deal with it."
Oh, I see, Bush leaves out the rest of the quote because it explicitly criticizes the Bush administration's failings prior to 9/11.

How would we all feel if Kerry went around quoting this statement from President Bush:
"I made it very plain. We will not have an all-volunteer army."
It's an actual quote, though the President corrected his obvious error in the next sentence.

Can we have some fair play in the final days of the campaign?

I took the full Kerry quote from the original on LexisNexis, but some print media (like USA Today) have been repriting the entire quote when Bush pulls this crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment