Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

McConnell's pork

I haven't seen this in the local papers, but the Washington Post of February 3 had news about my university. Note the last sentence:
Mark the date! Earmark Feb. 20 for the opening of the $14.2 million library wing at the University of Louisville.

No private fundraising was needed for this one, a university source said. It's all from the federal government, an earmark by an alum, Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). And the new library's auditorium is to be named for his wife, Labor Secretary Elaine L. Chao.
Hat tip to Tom at Functional Ambivalent for the link.

The University's web story about the opening does not mention the new Chao auditorium by name.

Indeed, today's search of the University's entire website yields zero hits for "Elaine Chou." I get the same result after a search of the library's website too.

Thus, I'm posting in the service of transparency.


Correction: Avery pointed out in an email that I've spelled "Elaine Chao" incorrectly in my search. Apparently, the local newspaper covered this issue a year ago (while I was on sabbatical in Boston), after the university made its decision and announcement. Noted local conservative (and Board of Trustees member) Bill Stone calls Chao the "most significant Labor secretary of the past two generations." I hope that clears up this issue.

The correct search still yields zero hits at the library website.


Visit this blog's homepage.

Filed as:

No comments:

Post a Comment