Search This Blog

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Medieval Gitmo

I've been in the UK for the past week, which explains the lack of blogging. Friday, the family and I visited the Tower of London, which is apparently the UK's largest tourist attraction.

About 15 years ago, my wife and I visited the Tower and I mainly recall seeing the Di and Charles wedding video (on a loop) and the crown jewels. Both made a fairly pleasing impression. It was hot that day and we walked to St. Paul's and worked up quite a thirst.

This time, however, we had more time to check out the various towers and I was really struck by what the place represented. At this site, hundreds of years ago, enemies of the state (crown) were imprisoned, sometimes tortured, and even killed for their beliefs. Most prisoners seemed to be held for their strong (and out of favor) religious faith, though all were seen as political enemies as well.

The Tower of London was a medieval Gitmo.

My kids took my picture by the Traitors Gate and we moved on to Covent Garden.


Visit this blog's homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment